vendredi, novembre 12, 2010

Doing my Msc in Theoretical Physics


Boring. Damn boring. How can a subject such as Quantum Mechanics be so boring? And it's nothing compare to the level of boredom in the other subjects such as Manifolds or the "Equilibrium blablabla.." The only thing we do is only watching the "teacher" put equation on the black board before solving them. Or writing one more "Definition", "Theorem"..

Why can't they give an intuitive picture of the physics involved? Yes, after the course I will know how to prove that such or such structure is smooth. Yes I will know the perturbative methods. Proving that such group is a normal subgroup is not going to have any secret to me. And so what???

Ok, I know. I will then be able to carry on "technical" calculations and please my supervisors.
But then, I won't know why quantum mechanics theories using non-local variable are dooms to fail. I won't know if randomness at the quantum level is intrasect or not. I won't know what to make of interpretations of QM such as Bohm theory. I won't be able to have a proper critical point of view of theories such as the Inflation theory. But then, I will be able to tell if such or such structure is diffeomorphic...arf!!

Aucun commentaire: